The business was set up two centuries ago in 1810 by George Jackman on a site very close to the present one. Known as Jackman's Nursery, it remained in the family until 1967 and kept its name until 1996. The second George Jackman (1837-1887) was an expert at hybridising Clematis, winning an RHS First Class certificate for Clematis Jackmanii. The centre as it now stands was opened by Charlie Dimmock in 2000 to the delight of the staff, one of whom has been with the centre for some fifteen years!
We sell top quality growing stock, gardening products and garden furniture as well as birdcare products, floristry, houseplants and books. We also have a fabulous giftware and greeting card department and at Christmas, an inspiring display of decorations, lights and trees. Our cafe offers free wi-fi and sells delicious home-made snacks and lunches whilst our staff are friendly and helpful horticultural experts who like nothing better than dispensing good practical advice to expert and amateur gardeners alike.
We all look forward to welcoming you to the centre soon.